About Petts Wood
Petts Wood takes its name from the woods surrounding the area that were once owned by Phineas Pett, an Elizabethan ship builder. Reputedly the wood from Petts Woods was sent to Chatham and Deptford dockyards for ship building.
Most of the house building in Petts Wood occurred during the 1930’s, mainly to provide good housing for the London overspill at affordable prices in the “country”. Part of the attraction to prospective buyers was a main line station with over 200 trains per day to various London stations and a service taking approximately 25 minutes.
Petts Wood, Kent is now part of the London Borough of Bromley, it is situated between Orpington and Chislehurst. It still has a station with a frequent service to all London mainline stations serving the South East. It is well served for road transport with the M25 London orbital, the M20 for the Shuttle and the M2 for the Channel ports within 15 minutes drive.
The railway service today has some 100 trains servicing all London south east main line stations (Charing Cross, Waterloo, Cannon Street, London Bridge, Victoria, and Blackfriars), taking 30 minutes on average.
There are a number of bus routes serving the area, run by various operators, with regular services to Bromley, Orpington and Chislehurst.
Petts Wood is split in 2 by the railway line into Petts Wood East and West, both have a shopping centre with the larger shops on the west side. Most of the shops are small local businesses serving the community.
There are 2 local primary schools within easy walking distance. They are Crofton (Infants and Juniors) and St James' RC Primary School.